Experience the Fun of Group Travel! If you’re traveling with a group, enjoy fantastic discounts when you join together. Prices automatically adjust for group members.
- Private Tour
Rhododendron Festival in Bhutan 2024
- Rhododendron Festival Delight: The Rhododendron Festival is the main event, a visual feast for flower enthusiasts. Witness the vibrant blossoms in full bloom, a true spectacle of nature’s artistry.
- Cultural Immersion: Immerse yourself in the local culture, as the festival is not just about flowers but a portal to Bhutan’s rich traditions. Engage in traditional games, soak up the atmosphere of cultural performances, and discover the heart of Bhutan.
- Local Connections: Forge meaningful connections with local residents as you explore the charming villages and farmhouses. This is an opportunity to engage with Bhutanese people, understand their way of life, and gain deeper insights into the culture.
- Spiritual Legacy: Explore ancient temples, monasteries, and dzongs, delving into Bhutan’s spiritual heritage. These architectural marvels hold centuries of history and stories waiting to be discovered.
- Scenic Beauty: Immerse yourself in some of the world’s most scenic landscapes. The Bhutanese countryside, with its pristine natural beauty, serves as a backdrop to the entire festival, offering breathtaking vistas at every turn.
Day 1: Arrival in Paro – Transfer to Thimphu, 54 km drive, 1 hour duration, altitude: 2334 m.
Day 2: Explore Thimphu’s cultural attractions, altitude: 2334 m.
Day 3: Travel from Thimphu to the Rhododendron Festival in Bhutan, 76 km drive, 2-hour journey, altitude: 1242 m.
Day 4: Discover the historical treasures of Punakha, altitude: 1242 m.
Day 5: Drive from Punakha to Paro for sightseeing, 130 km drive, 4-hour journey, altitude: 2200 m.
Day 6: Explore Paro’s cultural sites and embark on a 7 km, 4-hour hike to the Tiger’s Nest.
Day 7: Departure from Paro.
Arrival in Paro and Thimphu Exploration (54km, 1-hour drive, Altitude: 2334 m)
Upon your arrival at Paro International Airport, our friendly guide and driver will warmly welcome you and accompany you to Thimphu, the capital city. En route, you’ll have a chance to visit Tamchog Lhakhang, a sacred temple built in 1420 by Thang Tong Gyalpo, known for constructing 108 bridges across Tibet and Bhutan, eight of which were in Bhutan. In the afternoon, your Thimphu adventure begins with a visit to the National Memorial Chorten, a tribute to the Late His Majesty Jigme Dorji Wangchuck. The journey continues to Kuensel Phodrang, where you’ll marvel at the world’s tallest sitting Buddha statue (51.5 m). Finally, you’ll explore the Craft Bazaar, where you can purchase Bhutanese handicrafts and artwork. As the day winds down, experience the serene ambiance of Tashichho Dzong, also known as the Royal Secretariat and Central Monastic Body, before enjoying dinner and a comfortable overnight stay at a hotel.
Thimphu Sightseeing (Altitude: 2334 m)
Begin your day with a visit to Changangkha Lhakhang, an ancient 13th-century temple constructed by Phajo Drugom Zhigpo, making it the oldest temple in the Thimphu valley. Later, explore the fascinating Takin Preserve Center, home to Bhutan’s national animal, the takin, believed to be created by Lama Drukpa Kuenley, the Divine Madman of Bhutan. Your cultural journey continues with a visit to Sangay Gang viewpoint and Dupthop Lhakhang, one of Bhutan’s few surviving nunneries. Enjoy a delectable lunch at the Simply Bhutan museum restaurant. In the afternoon, embark on a cultural adventure at the Postal Museum, where you can personalize Bhutanese stamps with your photos, and the Painting School, which showcases the intricate 13 arts and crafts. You’ll have the evening free to explore Thimphu town at your leisure, with dinner and another overnight stay at your hotel.
This morning, you’ll set out for the picturesque Punakha Valley, the ancient capital of Bhutan, with a stop at the enchanting Dochu La Pass (3140 m). This serene location boasts 108 small stupas and offers breathtaking views of the Himalayan mountains. If you’re visiting in December, you’ll have the unique opportunity to witness the annual Druk Wangyel festival. In the evening, you’ll arrive at Punakha and immerse yourself in the vibrant cultural festivities of the Rhododendron Festival 2024 at Lam Pelri Park. Take a leisurely walk through the garden and join in the cultural celebrations. Later, you’ll return to your hotel for a delightful dinner and a comfortable overnight stay.
Today’s adventure includes exploring Wangdue Phodrang Dzong, originally built in 1638 by Shabdrung Ngawang Namgyal, though it was unfortunately destroyed by fire in 2012 and is currently under repair. Your cultural journey continues with a visit to Chimi Lhakhang, also known as the Temple of Fertility, built in 1499 to honor Drukpa Kuenley, the Divine Madman. This unique temple is celebrated as a place where childless couples from across the country come to offer prayers and seek blessings. In the afternoon, you’ll discover the magnificent Punakha Dzong, founded in 1637 by Shabdrung Ngawang Namgyal, and learn about its pivotal role in the history of Bhutan. To end your day, embark on a picturesque hike to Khamsum Yulley Monastery, an architectural wonder built by Her Majesty the Queen Tshering Yangdon Wangchuck for the well-being of His Majesty and global peace. As evening approaches, enjoy dinner and a restful overnight stay at your hotel.
Punakha to Paro Sightseeing (142 km, 4-hour drive)
Your journey today takes you back to Paro, where you’ll pause occasionally to capture the scenic beauty of Bhutan. Upon arrival, you’ll explore Ta Dzong, an ancient watchtower that has been transformed into the National Museum of Bhutan. Discover the fascinating history of Rinpung Dzong, an architectural marvel that even played a role in the film “Little Buddha.” In the evening, you’ll experience the warm hospitality of a typical Bhutanese farmhouse, indulge in traditional cuisine, and enjoy a restful night at your hotel.
Hike to the Tiger’s Nest
The highlight of your Bhutan adventure is a memorable hike to the iconic Tiger’s Nest Monastery (Paro Taktsang), which was built in 1684 by Gyaltse Tenzin Rabgay. This renowned monument, perched on the cliffs of the Paro Valley, is perhaps the most photographed site in Bhutan. Your hike, approximately four hours round trip, will take you through the lush landscapes of the Bumdra trek in Paro Valley. In the afternoon, you’ll visit Drugyal Dzong, originally built in 1647 by Shabdrung Ngawang Namgyal to safeguard Bhutan from Tibetan invasions, which was tragically destroyed by fire but is now undergoing restoration. You’ll also explore Kichu Lhakhang, dating back to 659 A.D., built by the Tibetan king Srongtsen Gampo, making it one of the oldest temples in Bhutan and part of a group of 108 temples constructed to subdue an ogress across the Himalayan region. This delightful day concludes with an evening in Paro town, where you can shop for souvenirs and capture the beauty of Bhutan through photography. Afterward, return to your hotel for dinner and an overnight stay.
Your Bhutan adventure concludes with a peaceful morning as we drop you off at Paro International Airport according to your departure schedule. We hope you take with you cherished memories of Bhutan and hope to welcome you back soon. Safe travels!
- All Meals [Breakfast /Lunch/Dinner and Evening Tea].
- Accommodation [twin / double sharing basis], Single room supplement is extra.
- All transportation within the country including airport transfers.
- Sustainable Development Fee (SDF).
- Bhutan Visa Fee (US $ 40).
- English speaking Local guide.
- Bottled water throughout the tour.
- Drukair / Bhutan Airlines fares.
- Entrance fees for museums and monuments.
- Travel Insurance Premiums.
- Payments for service provided on a personal basis.
- Cost for any services not mentioned in the “Cost Include head”.
- Cost incurred due to mishaps, strikes, political unrest etc.
- Personal expenses such as laundry, soft drinks, Camera charges, Incidentals, Portage, Bellboy charges tips or any other services.
Tailored to your preferences,
Customized to your schedule,
Designed for your comfort.
Dedicated to crafting an amazing adventure, our experienced team is here to assist you at every stage.
Got a question about this tour?
For any trip-related help or inquiries, contact our travel experts.